7 steps to efficient and environmental heating
Top/Down ignition - the wood burns downwards, from above:
- Always leave 1-2 cm of ash in the base.
- Lay out 2 larger (6-8 cm thick) pieces of firewood on the base.
- Lay 10-12 kindling sticks on top, with plenty of air in between.
- Place one or two firelighters among the kindling sticks.
- Leave the door slightly ajar and light the firelighters
- Close the door after approx. 10 minutes. Make sure that there is good airflow. As long as the flames are burning yellow,
do not reduce airflow. Reduce airflow once the flames have a bluish colour
- When the fire has burnt to glowing cinders, add new firewood. Open the door carefully, just 1-2 cm,
and open completely after about 5 seconds.
If you have previously owned an older type of stove, you may need to change your routines, as function and heat output are greatly improved on modern stoves.